PDA

View Full Version : Why do you take pictures?

Sonneilon
12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
We kind of went over why some of us do dios.

But to do 1-shots, it's a different frame of mind. It seems like a lot of you just whip 'em out, something I don't do anymore. Or can't do. I used to be able to just take a few figures and do whatever with them and it'd be good. But now, I can't get in that frame of mind. I know when I'm doing dios, I can't do any 1-shots cuz my mind is so focused on the story.

So what motivates you to go out and shoot? Is is a neat location? Dying to use a specific figure? You have an idea pop up in your mind and you just gotta shoot?

Flatline
12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
great Topic. When I Fifst Statred It Was My Full Intention To Do Dios. Being Highly Influanced By Violentfix's Work. Then I Happend Upon Joe Dios And It Hit Me. I Could Post One Or Two Shot Lil Sories. But Back On To The Subject.

I Do It For The Creation Of The Sets. I Some Times Get Ideas (all The Time). Build It And Then Start Shooting. Some Times One Good One Comes Out Of It Sometimes Lots That Evolve Into Short Stories. But The Stand Alone's Are So Much Fun

Outrider
12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
I sort of already partly answered this in the other forum you mentioned. I take pics because I enjoy it as a combination of two of my hobbies, Joes and photography. And I love the challenge of attempting to capture that "perfect" shot - I haven't done it yet, but I'm having fun trying!
But more than that, I love the process of turning an idea into reality, seeing if I can create in the "real world" what I can picture in my mind. Sometimes something will inspire me in a flash of brilliant light, other times an idea will germinate and grow over weeks, until it becomes something worthy of a photo. Other times I'll wake up in the middle of the night with an idea, and plenty of times I'm "dry", without a clue as to what to shoot next. All in all, it's the mental stimulation and creativity that really have me hooked. :)

ender098
12-19-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as Outrider, I like Joes, but unlike him, never took photography seriously until I came on here. To me it was a way to put the toys I collected all these years to use. To learn and share experiences with people as well as our common love of GI Joe.

When I first got here I owned a Sony Mactiva camera that took crappy pictures and couldn't get good close ups. Then over time I learned that if you altered certain elements (light, distance, angle) sometimes the lack of quality of the picture could be made to work FOR you! And I've been having fun ever since!

Acantilado
12-20-2007, 03:56 AM
[QUOTE=Outrider]But more than that, I love the process of turning an idea into reality, seeing if I can create in the "real world" what I can picture in my mind.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it! I picture myself some situations, a scenario, a background in which my Joes could interact, or simply a pose for a figure, and then would like to try to recreate them. Sometimes it can be done with a shot, others some photoshoping is needed, but what I look for is that image to come out of my mind and become visible.

lehsreh
12-20-2007, 04:34 AM
[COLOR=Red]i only take one shots when i think have something cleaver. im more of a story guy. only bought a camera to do dos with last year.[/COLOR]

Apparition
12-20-2007, 10:45 AM
OK, I'm probably not the most qualified to speak here as I have only posted a few pics of my own, but the ones I have done are because I have been inspired by what I see here. I love just browsing through the awesome pictures you guys create, and I'm never disappointed. I don't know how you guys keep coming up with so many great photos, but I wanted to say I'm glad you do, and I enjoy your work so much. keep the cool photos coming, they are what makes this my favorite Joe site! :)

DaveCW2
12-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Honestly, it's because I don't currently have time for a dio-story.

I work as a graphic designer/photographer, but not the fun kind. I mean, Adriana Lima's not gonna' come into the studio anytime soon ;) The pictures I take (mainly auto parts) are boring, and I work with such stringent rules, there's little room for creativity even when I get to Photoshoppin'. I don't want to lose what little creativity's left in the tank, so I practice shootin' with my favorite toys.

As a bonus, the graphic designer/marketer/photographer in me gets to see real-world feedback from all of you, so that I know if I'm on the right track photo-wise.

But mainly, it's because I don't currently have time for a dio-story :D

Have fun, all!!!

Da Talent
12-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, number one I love to paint models, and I love Joes, so they just kinda came together one day. Then I found this place, I had never seen or heard of a dio, my first pictures will pay testament to that, they were so bad. But after months of watching what everyone here does, it really helped me try harder. Number 2, I love to write, I really do even papers for college, I just enjoy it. For me its the fun and challenge of telling a really great story, with one pic. On the topic of the other thread, I write for me. I love writing joe stories on my computer or in the middle of class, I have tons of really long background files and stories I write just for me. (and make rachel suffer threw them :) ) I really want to write novels someday. But on here its fun to let people have a glimpse of a story with a one shot so they can visulize.

Outrider
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=fireflyed]Well, number one I love to paint models, and I love Joes, so they just kinda came together one day.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, that's how I honed my painting skills, years and years of military model making when I was a kid! ;)

silentdusty
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I thinks it is loads of fun, I get to play with my Joes, and I am always on the lookout for different places to shoot. I might be driving along and think hey, there's a nice spot. Also, I am starting to improve my photography skills, and of course with a great group of people like on this site, it's nice to interact and receive feedback from other Joe fans.

Sonneilon
12-20-2007, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Outrider]Hey man, that's how I honed my painting skills, years and years of military model making when I was a kid! ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, that explains why your painting is so great!

gung ho
12-20-2007, 07:18 PM
i just take pics for fun it's fun to get out and pose your joes and take pics of them it's like playing with your joes sept for your not getting them dirty and your not making BOOM, BANG, and, KABOOM!! sounds while your doing it :D

vader9900
06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I like to pose my figures, all of my figures in my display cases are posing, not just standing there. I started taking pictures of them posing, way before I came to JoeDios. Some of my work (David Julian) can be seen on YoJoe under the "all geared up" link in the figure pages. I have been making dioramas for years, mainly Star Wars sets. When I found JoeDios I saw a way to combine my hobbies - posing Joe, building dioramas and photographing them. As far a dio-stories, I have a very short attention span, plus I am not very creative when it comes to writing stories - sometimes I have a hard time coming up with a title & description for my photos! Doing one shot at a time is all I have patience for, to me it is fun!

Agent Viper
06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Very Good Question Sonn. ( Get a job as a news interviewer)

I take pics mainly to train to be a photographer, lets me be creative, Great excuse to play with joes ( 13 years old man,) and I love it. Its my Zen, pop in a couple Joes in my pocket, check my camera, turn up my CD Player ( DISTURBED) and get into a state of mind