PDA

View Full Version : Customs; how many of you do 'em?

Sonneilon
04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Donsbabyboo suggested that we do "Customs" as a theme. I'm not entirely sure what he was driving at but I gotta ask, how many of you actually do customs out there? I personally don't do that many but if ALL you guys do, we can do it as a theme sometime in the near future.

Perhaps we need to define "custom" as well. Touching up a paint app, I wouldnt' consider a custom but elsewhere, people might. Frankensteining, sculpting your own dude, repainting, LBCs, I consider them as customizing. I'd like to know everyone's feedback.

Here's the problem I'm having. What's the point of doing customs, be it fave or in-action? We could all go over to Joecustoms.com and look at the 1000s of customs over there. I have some over there. Luke has 'em over there. I'm sure a few members here are registered there too. Maybe a "Let's See Your Customs In Action" might work but it will ONLY work if a lot of people do customs in general. And what happens when your customs are only for show?

BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
04-24-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't do any customizing but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't try. I would like to get some custom fodder and try it out some time. It is definitly a cool idea for a theme week and judging from what some people have here I think it could be a good thing.

Outrider
04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Man, I have literally dozens and dozens of customs, it has always been something I have played around with, but it doesn't really grab me as a theme week because I use 'em in pics anyway. In fact I already posted some pics of my customs simply because people asked me to.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, if that's what the majority of people want, then go for it, I can always find/make more customs to post. Perhaps a future theme week could be your favourite vehicle/driver combo in action....there's plenty to choose from there.

Self-Modifier
04-24-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm not a big customizer. Mostly I frankestein the occasional figure to get a look that I like or to give someone a new body if their crotch or thumbs are broken. You may have noticed Outback in my Transformers story has v1 Outback's head on v3 Outback's body-- That's what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, I have my Duke, Cobra Commander, Destro, and eventually Flint made to look like their counterparts on the cartoon, and a Baroness cobbled together from three different Baronesses to attain a look that's not cartoon, but that I like. Other than those, I have very few other real customs-- Just little things like putting a brown-haired Bombstrike head on a Spytroops Lady Jaye body and the like.

I did recently make a pretty cool Quarrel though... It's G.I. Jane's head on VvV Scarlett's body. Looks pretty cool. She's hanging out with Big Ben now.

EDIT: I just realized I got carried away and didn't really answer the question at hand. I could probably get a few customs together for a picture or two, but they wouldn't be very "customized" customs, and there wouldn't be too many of them.

TheCheznit8
04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I like this idea, gives me an excuse to post pics of my custom Snake-Eyes on his custom Ninja Cycle :) .

Lately I have done a lot of customs, but haven't completed them yet, so a group project would be great for motivation.

Sonneilon, you might want to post a poll for this idea, that'll give you clear indication how many people customize their figures.

Raven
04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Customising is my true Joe Passion to be honest. I creep them into my diostories as much as possible. I'm gunna re-work my site to encorporate a lot of my newer ones but I want to wait as Issue 5 (when I can finally work on it again) has one of them as a main/suprise character. I can post some of my fave ones here tonight if you want them?
(most have been posted on JBL in the past)

ToneGuns
04-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Actually I did just one. I removed Grunt torso and on his place I put Crosshair single pack torso. Just worked fine to me.

donsbabyboo
04-25-2006, 10:16 AM
i would think switching around heads, torsos, arms, etc
even if its just a single body part could & should be considered a custom
no need to bust out the dremel
no need to bust out with the paints

but slapping on a Crosshair hat on the last Chief Torpedo released
or swapping a weapon shouldnt count :rolleyes:

The Leader
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
I have done some customs. They're not the greatest, mostly part swaps. I try to substitute permanent marker for paint whenever I can because of chipping. I could definitely set up some scenes with my customs.

Sonneilon
04-25-2006, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=donsbabyboo]
but slapping on a Crosshair hat on the last Chief Torpedo released
or swapping a weapon shouldnt count :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

yorktownjoe
04-25-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't do a lot of customs, but I remember taking that tiny screw out the first time I repaired an O-ring. When I was younger I would change pants when someone had an accident and joined the BCB (Broken Crotch Brigade). ;) Lost thumbs would only bother me when they were a favorite, and they didn't happen that often. As long as they had one thumb, they could hold a weapon and the "damaged" hand could be posed toward holding the clip.

I swap out heads and switch parts around, mostly to give current characters a wardrobe update, but occasionally to create a new character. I'm not too much into painting/dremeling.

Although I did do a badly wounded soldier that I will post some day. He's a mess though, probably would rate him PG-13. I feel disturbed when I see him. :eek:

phu
04-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Well, I guess I would say I'm obsessed with customs, but have yet to put one together that's actually usable or cohesive. :(

After I finished army building (very brief period), I started buying figures I wanted to use for customs... and that's all I do now. So I have a rather massive pile of figures that have parts I want to use.

Unfortunately, my preoccupation with custom figures does not mix well with my packrat obsession, which will absolutely not allow me to permanently use a part from one figure on another, even if I have multiples... so I had to get into molding and casting, which derailed my custom aspirations.

I'm still climbing that particular learning curve, but my successes are finally catching up with my failures, and soon my technique will be refined to the point where the results will actually become useful.

THEN... yes, I will do customs. :D