PDA

View Full Version : Am I alone?

ToneGuns
04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Man I was thinkin' about. I'm the only one that had a big Joe collection on the childhood and gave them all to nephews, friend's sons and today begin to hunt all them back?

Man I posted on Outrider's Leatherneck pic and was caugh on this. I had the Thunder Machine (I loved it), the Forward Swept wings from Slip Stream Equalizer, Lynx and some others and many figures, from classical. I gave a good part from my collection to nephews and so one. I was hunting them back but I saw somethings that made me cry.

Can you imagine a shinny army Joe/Cobra reduced to dust?

Just two cents, I hope I'm not alone in this one! :D

Sonneilon
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
I did that with all my Star Wars figures. Sold them $1 a piece to my aunt who in turn gave them to my cousin who was considerably younger than I was. As for the Joes, most of 'em broke (I was a single child) so there came a time when it was dictated by my parents, "keep a handful, lose the rest..." I don't remember where everything ended up going; charity or whatnot. But I had a handful of Joes and the APC. I recently sold the ARAH lot on ebay cuz frankly, I have no use for them. I kept the APC, secretly hoping H might do another one. Multi-functional vehicles were a great selling point back then and it should be now. What other vehicle could roll your Joes, float on water AND be used as a carrying case???

Course, I view the ARAH stuff as the past. I don't need or want to go back. I'd rather spend it on the new sculpt JOes just so I can sell them off a few months later when I realize that they were a mistake! LOL.

Outrider
04-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I've still got pretty well every Joe I ever bought, but I did make up a lot of customs for the nephews from the spare parts bin (they were little, they wanted bright colours!). Sonneilon, I hear you on the Star Wars thing. I had pretty well all of the original figures, and ended up throwing them all in the garbage one day when I cleaned out the wardrobe! If only I could have foreseen ebay back then....Oh well, too late now! :(

ToneGuns
04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Outrider]If only I could have foreseen ebay back then....Oh well, too late now! :([/QUOTE]

Yeah!

You literaly drop money on the garbage ;)

Sonneilon
04-18-2006, 02:39 PM
When I sold my ARAH stuff on ebay, I thought they were in pretty poor condition. I mean, they were loved by me when I was 12, y'know? I had to explain when selling them that they were in pretty bad shape. It's not like they would be pristine, MOC stuff. They were loose in all regards! The stuff I threw away, I don't think anybody would have snagged them. Lots of broken thumbs, y'know? Yeah... if only internet and ebay was around back in the 80s. :D

yorktownjoe
04-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I kept a significant portion of my childhood Joe's I'm planning on taking a "class of 1982/83 reunion group photo" and see what I come up with. My figures have survived pretty well, but vehicles were a little more used. Figures seem to have survived my many moves far better. I was lucky mom saved them and did not throw them away or "garage sale" them away...

I still have my 1982 VAMP and Straight-Arm Clutch. That guy is seriously floppy loose (I picked up a 1983 swivel arm Clutch for nostalgia reasons.)

I have two sons, 5 and 2. My 5 year old created some new "customs" from my parts bin (an old pencil box). I refer to his soldiers as the BCB (Broken Crotch Brigade) :eek: . He did come up with one amazingly good figure (that is, good for a five year old with ancient spare parts.) Anyway, I have to remind myself not to steer him through my childhood, but to let him have his own. My 2 year old refers to any toy with human qualities as "G-Joe's". So I guess I have already biased them towards my hobby...

Self-Modifier
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I guess I'm lucky-- My mom is a packrat, and much as my dad would've preferred otherwise, she would not let me give away or sell anything. If there were ever any toys I did want to get rid of, she'd take 'em herself and box them up someplace. So as a result, I still have pretty much every toy I've ever owned-- Though in varying states of wear and disrepair.

ToneGuns
04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=yorktownjoe]My 5 year old created some new "customs" from my parts bin (an old pencil box). I refer to his soldiers as the BCB (Broken Crotch Brigade) :eek: . He did come up with one amazingly good figure (that is, good for a five year old with ancient spare parts.)[/QUOTE]

Hey man, let us see some pic. from your boy customs. BCB it's a great name, maybe something close of the Battle Force 2000. :p

yorktownjoe
04-18-2006, 08:16 PM
TG, you asked for pics of my 5 year old son's customs. I'm going to try and post them here in the forum and not on the main photos page. We'll see if this works.

The BCB (Broken Crotch Brigade) has some more members that I could not find. It also has a few honorary members (those with crotches still intact...)

There is one shot of 5 of them, then a group or 2 and a group of 3. The one with Mutt's head he named "Cable-Dodge." The one with Repeater's head is "Mailman." Okay, I have officially written way too much here.... ;)

ToneGuns
04-18-2006, 08:29 PM
They look really menacing. It's a small but certanly an effective squad. :eek: