PDA

View Full Version : About new users.....

maxtype
06-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Okay guys.We had a new guy start up today named Tomas.He seemed all right to me,with a friendly self-intro and a rather blank profile screen,but how many people do all the 'paperwork' the first time they go on?As Frank said,it wasn't cut-n-paste from 'Cobra1'

Some members were immediately suspicious,thinking Tomas was 'old here he goes again'. I and some others asked for a little slack for the new guy.

Anyhoo,I had to log off my PC (and unplug it) for a few hours 'cuz of a hellacious lightning storm. When I come back on,the entire 'Tomas THREAD' is gone!WTF?

Guys,and GS,if I'm over-stepping here ,my apologies.....BUT,if we get so reactionary that we scare new people away on their first post,then we are doing FAR MORE damage to the community than "the little hemmaroid" EVER could! I realize that youngster was a major pain-in-the-behind-BUT WE HAVE TO GET PAST IT! IF the dork comes back,he'll expose himself soon enough anyway. But I really don't want this great group of friends to be a place of suspicion and doubt.That kid ain't worth it....or the drama we've had lately.

All I'm asking is cut the newbies some slack,'kay? That's a choice we can make.

Jay
06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
I don't think you're over-stepping.

When I read that thread, there was only one guy being suspicious, and I reeeaaaally felt like telling him to shut his f-ing mouth lest I shut it for him. I didn't, to avoid the thread going sour...
I don't remember who it was, though, but whoever it was better not to it again. :mad:

Blowtorch
06-28-2007, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=Jay]I don't think you're over-stepping.

When I read that thread, there was only one guy being suspicious, and I reeeaaaally felt like telling him to shut his f-ing mouth lest I shut it for him. I didn't, to avoid the thread going sour...
I don't remember who it was, though, but whoever it was better not to it again. :mad:[/QUOTE]

I think this is out of line, and really uncalled for. And I believe threats are against the rules here.

Maxtype very well put

ender098
06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
We're letting that little turd get to us. He's already sown the seeds of hate and discontent. Jay's Right, we need to welcome everyone with open arms. And the worst part is, we're turning on each other.

Let's just chill. I figured it was him, that's why I asked him to tell us a little about himself. I noticed there was no info in his profile and that made me suspicious, especially after he came back and we caught him the last time because he cut and pasted his profile from Scalpel to the new profile. The thing was WE brought this up in the post where we banned him. There are ways to be kind and polite and yet still get him to "out" himself. I don't think one of the admins on here deleted the thread, so I'm gonna assume Tomas did it. It may have been one comment out of 10 that was negative...or it may have been he was our little troll. I dunno.

I do have a little inside info, though. Just after I noticed the thread was deleted, I got a reply in my Gmail box to the email I sent to our little troll about not being mad, but being dissappointed and disgusted with him. In his reply he said he was sorry and was gonna say someting on JoeDios. Maybe that was it, and when he realized we were gonna "out" him again and didn't give a damn what he had to say, he decided to turn tail and run.

If someone else joins and introduces themselves, let's welcome them, ask them to tell us a little about themselves and wait. If it's him, he'll wait a few days and begin begging for a comic Pack Firefly, A BeachHead, a Dusty, some night creepers, ect, ad Nauseum! He CAN'T stay hidden for long. He'll IM you and beg. If he does, send him my way or ask him his address, which we should ALL be familiar with. Once you see it, just have GS ban him. Or if you're like me, Flourish and blow the trumpets in a loud, embarrasing post made to humiliate and degrade him for his lack of intelligence and protocol and then have GS ban him! But if he does come back and plays by the rules for a few months, why get blown out of shape? He's already screwed up 6 times....he'll out himself eventually.

What we DON'T need to do....is start yelling "TROLL" as soon as we suspect something. We may end up pushing new members away. We need to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove us right or wrong. Ask them a little about themselves, show them around, and offer to help them. If it's not him, they'll feel welcome....if it IS him, he'll feel compelled to take advantage of our good nature and start begging then all we need is to say "ok, what's your mailing address".

POOF! Problem solved!

Jay
06-28-2007, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Blowtorch]I think this is out of line, and really uncalled for. And I believe threats are against the rules here.

Maxtype very well put[/QUOTE]
And I suppose scaring new members away with wild, unfounded accusations is any better?

Blowtorch
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Neither is and I didn't do either one.....can you say that.

ender098
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, here's what the troll send to my Gmail box;

Quote;

"Ok, I'll stop.
I'm post something on joedios that I have stopped.
thanks, I'm just going through a rough time right now."

Outrider
06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=ender098]We're letting that little turd get to us. He's already sown the seeds of hate and discontent. Jay's Right, we need to welcome everyone with open arms. And the worst part is, we're truning on each other. [/QUOTE]

Frank's right, This place is bigger than any one individual, and we don't need to turn on each other and self-destruct. New people do deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt. If you-know-who shows up again he won't be able to help himself, and before too long he will be back to his old tricks and get booted off once again.
So, I think it's time to forget our little troll friend and get on with enjoying our shared hobby and the company of the good people who frequent Joedios. This site is the best Joe site there is, let's keep it that way! Onward and upward! ;)

gung ho
06-28-2007, 02:26 PM
yeah let's just chill out untill the troll shows his face again and then we can take action but that little butthole and nothing to get mad over soo chill out and lets just go back to our business

bigtattoo
06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
As a fairly new member here, I have to say I totally agree with the original poster.
I was a little nervous about posting my first post here, as I wasnt sure if people would be suspicious or not.
I think the fact Im fairly well established elsewhere, and knew a few members already helped my case, but if a noob does read the forum before posting, Im sure theyd feel worried.
Its a real shame, as this is one of the friendliest, most supportive site Ive come across- dont let one person spoil all that.

gung ho
06-28-2007, 03:23 PM
very well put BT

bravo
06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=gung ho]yeah let's just chill out untill the troll shows his face again and then we can take action but that little butthole and nothing to get mad over soo chill out and lets just go back to our business[/QUOTE]
your rihgt, i dont want nothing too happen to this site, there is nothing to get mad over,but if he shows then what?

maxtype
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=bravo]your rihgt, i dont want nothing too happen to this site, there is nothing to get mad over,but if he shows then what?[/QUOTE]

Then we let General Scarlett handle him,and if she needs help she'll ask and all of us will do whatever..... :D

bravo
06-28-2007, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=maxtype]Then we let General Scarlett handle him,and if she needs help she'll ask and all of us will do whatever..... :D[/QUOTE]
done deal,

Urban Saboteur
06-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Can we create an introduce yourself thread and have this as a sticky? I don't mind posting to every new member,. Granted this would then require that the new user who has signed up wishes to disclose who they are and what they like.. but I would of thought most geniune ppl who are interested in the community wouldn't have anything to hide.

If my idea sounds stupid and too predictable .. then I apologise.. but I just noticed there isn't a thread of such here at JD. Maybe we should create one.. and maybe a couple of use keep it going? :cool:
Rich
P.S Just thinking.. I didn't mean this to be a thread where ppl disclose every bit of info.. just a thread for new member signups as opposed to already pre-established members. :D

bravo
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Urban Saboteur]Can we create an introduce yourself thread and have this as a sticky? I don't mind posting to every new member,. Granted this would then require that the new user who has signed up wishes to disclose who they are and what they like.. but I would of thought most geniune ppl who are interested in the community wouldn't have anything to hide.

If my idea sounds stupid and too predictable .. then I apologise.. but I just noticed there isn't a thread of such here at JD. Maybe we should create one.. and maybe a couple of use keep it going? :cool:
Rich
P.S Just thinking.. I didn't mean this to be a thread where ppl disclose every bit of info.. just a thread for new member signups as opposed to already pre-established members. :D[/QUOTE]
rich your right, we should have one, hay rich there's no need to apologise, your as much of a family member as all of us here.

Bayer
06-28-2007, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=Jay]And I suppose scaring new members away with wild, unfounded accusations is any better?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Blowtorch]Neither is and I didn't do either one.....can you say that.[/QUOTE]

Uh, guys...I'm with Ender98 on this...while some over stepping may have been made, it is all surrounding the same issue.

Let's just drop the "Little Turd" and the luggage he has created on this site and try to trust that new members are NEW members.

I realize its hard to not keep the guard up but we all really should keep an open mind.

As far as the threats that are running through our heads, as long as they stay there and are not given voice at the person or in a context such as this, things can remain peaceful and friendly.

Not as healthy as it could be, but a lot better than creating a dozen new threads voicing division among our community instead of unity.

Bayer
06-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Uh...GungHo, your avitar is absolutely f***ing hilarious!!!!! :D

ender098
06-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I think Urban Saboteur is right....we need an "Introduce yourself" thread. We had one forever and I day....I never even realized it hadd gone away. No big deal, though! We'll just start a new one. It will help people feel a little more welcome, and discourge our favorite little troll at the same time. Let them know a little about us, and let us know a little about them!

I'd just like to say, It's ok to be suspicious of new comers because of Sir Trolls-A-Lot's behavior, be we don't need to be rude and start finger pointing. There are a lot of ways to seperate the trolls from the members. Ask them if they wanna tell us about themselves....we KNOW if they're from Big Stone Gap, Va., Love Firelfy and enjoy hiding under bridges to harrass billy goats..we KNOW who we have! If not, then we have learned someting about a new member and can help make him or her feel welcome!

Honestly, if he did come back, followed the rules and stopped with the begging, he wouldn't bother me one bit. But he can't...I think he suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder!

Anyway, I think I'm gonna start that thread!

General Scarlett
06-28-2007, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Jay]I don't think you're over-stepping.

I don't remember who it was, though, but whoever it was better not to it again. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Jay,

This was EXTRAORDINARLY UNCALLED FOR!!!!! I appreciate and understand your VERY dry humor, but this has crossed a line with me...........seriously.

Everyone's point of view is valid and since this is a free forum, posting of this nature is in a violation of the 'Rules and Regulations'..........you need to post a public apology AND send a PM to Blowtorch......effective immediately.

I want all of you guys to remember to respect each other and the varying thoughts and feelings that each of us contributes here.........

I know you and Blowtorch are on-site frequently, so I will wait 24 hours for both the public apology post and a confirmation from him that you have PM'ed him..........otherwise I will be forced to ban you for a few days.........

I know that this must seem harsh, and your probably cursing me out right now, but as long as you leave it at the door, all will be cool..........

Thank You for your co-operation and compliance.......

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]GS[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Jay
06-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Wait...
What did I do to Blowtorch now?

General Scarlett
06-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Just please do it............that's all I'm asking..........PM him if you want to get into specifics..........

Thanks

Talon
06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
wow :eek: lots of venom going around here. I swear I'm legit, and for the record, I ain't scared
(here's the part where we hear Yoda say, "you will be. You will be!")
Thanks for the intro thread. I've posted.

Blowtorch
06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Welcome Talon
Enjoy the site and don't let the venom spitting hit you ;)
I won't explain what's been going on. General Scarlet may do that since she is the Moderator. Or you can patrol around the site and get the idea. Either way welcome.

ender098
06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Talon]wow :eek: lots of venom going around here. I swear I'm legit, and for the record, I ain't scared
(here's the part where we hear Yoda say, "you will be. You will be!")
Thanks for the intro thread. I've posted.[/QUOTE]

It's not Venom, it's jus Love overload! We're like a pack of wolves, we may occasionaly nip and bite each other, but we come together when it counts. You think this is hot and heavy....you should've been around a few months ago.

Hence my little logo at the bottom....JoeDios...We KNOW Drama!

Talon
06-29-2007, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Blowtorch]Welcome Talon
Enjoy the site and don't let the venom spitting hit you ;)
I won't explain what's been going on. General Scarlet may do that since she is the Moderator. Or you can patrol around the site and get the idea. Either way welcome.[/QUOTE]
tanks for the welcome BT. I patrolled the site before clicked "register". I think I get idea about what's gone on here recently, and since I'm a noob, I will refrain from comment, except for the occasional rib (i.e. I already have a Comic Pack Firefly).

ender098
06-29-2007, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Talon]tanks for the welcome BT. I patrolled the site before clicked "register". I think I get idea about what's gone on here recently, and since I'm a noob, I will refrain from comment, except for the occasional rib (i.e. I already have a Comic Pack Firefly).[/QUOTE]

With that sense of humor, you'll fit right in! Welcome aboard!

Oh, and Can I HAVE that comic pack firefly? :eek:

bravo
06-29-2007, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Talon]tanks for the welcome BT. I patrolled the site before clicked "register". I think I get idea about what's gone on here recently, and since I'm a noob, I will refrain from comment, except for the occasional rib (i.e. I already have a Comic Pack Firefly).[/QUOTE]
hay Talon,im bravo. i have friends out in PA what part are you from, if you don't mind me asking.

Jay
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, since I must...

BT, I'm sorry.

General Scarlett
06-29-2007, 04:48 PM
[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=3]There, now that wasn't so bad...........THANK YOU!![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=4]Now, I have been trying to remain grounded about all the things going on throughout this forum as of late........and I'm here to say, that Jay's apology is the final word I want on all this 'troll' nonsense for a while...............

We have a new member, Talon and in light of his arrival I am closing down all the threads relating to recent 'crap' that's been stinking up our house...........

The 25th stuff has shipped (here in the states at least-sorry guys :o ) and we've got some really awesome pics, threads and misc other stuff that's waaaaaay more important to focus on..........so get back to 'G.I. Joe' and leave the 'poopie shoes' out in the mudporch!!!!

Thanks for your co-operation and compliance............. ;) :) :cool:

[COLOR=Red]
[SIZE=5]GS[/SIZE][/COLOR]

'Nuff Said!!!!!![/SIZE]