PDA

View Full Version : Information on a trains and tracks

chaosdjinn
01-31-2006, 09:16 AM
I would like to put an elevated train through the middle of my dio. Does anyone know of a model train size(if it exists) that fits the scale for the 1:18 joes?

I am toying with the idea of making one out of wood, cardboard and plastic but think the project will take very long. It would, however, be a great challenge to make and it would be customizable.

I downloaded the picture of the unproduced train from yojoe.com and could use that for inspiration.

Any suggestions?

Bayer
01-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Try G-scale. Some adjustment will be needed to the actual train cars, but I believe it is the closest to 1-18th scale. Most railway hobby stores will have some G-scale materials on hand.

Bayer

chaosdjinn
01-31-2006, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=Bayer]Try G-scale. Some adjustment will be needed to the actual train cars, but I believe it is the closest to 1-18th scale. Most railway hobby stores will have some G-scale materials on hand.

Bayer[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm going to go google it now!

chaosdjinn
01-31-2006, 10:53 AM
That stuff has a high price tag. If I were actually going to run it, I might consider it. But since it's for display, I think I'll attempt to construct them myself.

Bayer
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah...an operating G-Scale train is a little pricy, but the tracks are close to the right size and you might be able to find some at a Hobbytown (or hobby shop of your choice) for less cost (time) than what it would take to build.

Another idea would be one of those large scale battery powered holiday trains for the base of a Christmas tree. I've seen them in sizes that could be big enough for the 1/18th scale.

A final idea could be a forced perspective of an elevated train. This could use a much smaller and likely less expensive train/tracks to provide the train. The drawback to this is that the Joes could not actually be seen on the train without a bit of Photoshop work.

Monetarily, the project can get costly. No matter what direction you decide, good luck. I look forward to seeing the result when your finished.

Bayer

chaosdjinn
02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Bayer]Yeah...an operating G-Scale train is a little pricy, but the tracks are close to the right size and you might be able to find some at a Hobbytown (or hobby shop of your choice) for less cost (time) than what it would take to build.

Another idea would be one of those large scale battery powered holiday trains for the base of a Christmas tree. I've seen them in sizes that could be big enough for the 1/18th scale.

A final idea could be a forced perspective of an elevated train. This could use a much smaller and likely less expensive train/tracks to provide the train. The drawback to this is that the Joes could not actually be seen on the train without a bit of Photoshop work.

Monetarily, the project can get costly. No matter what direction you decide, good luck. I look forward to seeing the result when your finished.

Bayer[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the info.

Ok...here's the way my crazy mind works...Being the compulsive man that I am, I built the horizontal base of the tracks...all 11 feet of them. It's going to go right through the center of my dio and have many features for the figures. I am foregoing the train for now and will focus on the actual structure until I find one of those Christmas trains that needs to be customized. I am going to make them suspended about a foot off the ground to accomodate a number of different ideas I have. I have to build the support towers and all the criss-cross structures and am using googled ideas of train trellises for inspiration. I'm going to use wire(painted silver) for the tracks as there are 2 curves in the support structure. The reason there are 2 curves is because the horizontal support structures are, in actuality, an old pair of crutches with added length to extend to 11 feet long.

I'll take some pictures and upload to show the progress.

Bayer
02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I'll look forward to your process pictures. The description of the crutch construction method is intriguing. Eleven feet long...wow.

Bayer

bravo
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
best bet use a lionel train, there the best

Sonneilon
02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Did you look at ViolentFixe's how-to article? It's around here somewhere. He built his own train station and man, the thing looked tight!

chaosdjinn
02-07-2006, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]Did you look at ViolentFixe's how-to article? It's around here somewhere. He built his own train station and man, the thing looked tight![/QUOTE]

Heven't seen it but will go check now...

chaosdjinn
02-07-2006, 12:48 PM
but I did finish the tracks and new mountain with the trellis last night. I might just leave it as-is and have the train inferred from the tracks...leaves more room for the other vehicles to cross. I have an AWE striker traversing the span right now and it looks pretty cool