PDA

View Full Version : The Comic Box #24!!!

General Scarlett
06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

#24. The Commander Escapes

~Short Summary~
Cobra Commander escapes from a portable fortress in the Rockies, with some help from Storm Shadow.

~Notes of Interest~
Art was done by noted military artist Russ Heath, who also did character designs for the animated series. The Commander escapes, but Storm Shadow gets captured. First appearance of the Sky Hawk, Firefly, and Wild Weasel. First appearance of Zartan, too, but only a cameo.
-summary courtesy of yojoe.com-

http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe24.shtml

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/PrncsLeia/DSC02250_edited.jpg
-image courtesy of yojoe.com-

Discuss away!

maxtype
06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Another favorite issue of mine.Russ Heath's art is AWESOME! Check out the Baroness in her new black leather uniform! :cool:

This issue really shows Cobra at the top of their game,I think.Storm Shadow uses a surplus Russian "Badger" bomber and some well-trained Cobra Officers and Soldiers,to track the location and get CC out.Of course,CC "elects" to leave Stormy behind when the going gets rough. :p

Some highlights-the LAPES(Low-Altitude Parachute Extraction System)gets it's first (GI Joe) use here,we see Rock 'n Roll and Grunt in action again,the poker game-even if they don't really have enough players for a full house to come up in 5 card draw-"Where'd you learn to play poker,the Marines?Don't answer that." :p The Commander's helmet details:little hatch for the straw(black coffee through a STRAW?!YECH!!),lined with C-4 explosive to prevent removal by unauthorized personnel,and of course,radio pick-ups.

As[color=red] General Scarlett[/color] pointed out,we also get the first appearances of Wild Weasel,Zartan,and Firefly.Excellent issue! :D

Flint
06-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Excellent Issue!!! :D We get to see how quick Joe Headquarters can be put up, Destro's reaction to Major Bludd showing up with the Baroness, Storm-Shadow Breaking out the Commander only to get captured him self and the beginning of the introduction of Zartan!!! :)

Lava Boss
06-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Hard to find any major flaws with this issue. Heath's Baroness rules. Wasn't this Storm Shadow's first speaking issue?

There's a lot of plot and action in this issue.

Nice reuse of the 1983 toy GI JOE HQ.

Great intro to the Sky Hawk (was it ever seen again?)

Cobra Commander's obsession with secrecy is interesting. He'd rather have his head blown off than reveal his face.

Destro's willingness to conspire with Bludd and Baroness after she reveals C.C.'s plot to kill him...but later Destro out of honor, sides with C.C....I can't remember why? (I haven't read issue 25 in some time). (Also wondering, where are C.C.'s loyal people when this is going on? With Storm Shadow? Or totally unaware?)

One flaw, should've been Copperhead instead of Wild Weasel (unnamed in this issue)...yes, later WW ties into the story arc more...but Cobra's best pilot mucking through swamps seems pointless.

And a head-scratcher, how did those FANGS deploy from the cargo plane? Is it possible, should they have just used more CLAWS instead?

There's that "wasn't my fault, dude kept falling down" line by Roadblock...after taking his anger out on Storm Shadow (who, IIRC, later said he let himself be captured), that makes me smile.

I always remember the end, Cobra Commander in typical comic book fashion, walking in unnoticed at the right time. Zartan at the end, strange-looking character with two pistols drawn.

Score: 9/10