PDA

View Full Version : military terms.

lehsreh
05-19-2007, 09:50 AM
[COLOR=Red]i never joined any military as some of you have. thus i dont know a lot of the terms as you do. i would like to know some terms to help me making my dios as authentic as possible. so if theres anything you know and you think it may be helpful, im sure im not the only one on here who would like to see these. also dont forget to tell us what the term means and maybe a lil example of when it might be used, thanx.[/COLOR]

canada_gi
05-19-2007, 05:10 PM
I know a lot about military terms, weapons, and equipment so don't be shy to ask me if you have any questions.

Here are some abbreviations which are good to know:

QRF - quick reaction force (such as a special forces squad that can be deployed quickly)
NBCW - nuclear, biological, chemical warfare
ETA - estimated time of arrival (good term to use in a dio-story)
LZ - landing zone (where a helicopter will land to deploy or extract a squad)
SNAFU - situation normal, all f***ed up (also a term that could be used in a dio-story)
SIT-REP - situation report (an updated message telling commanders what's happening on the battlefield)
MEDEVAC - medical evacuation for a soldier or squad that requires medical treatment

For an entire list of terms/abbreviations, check this out:
US Military terms, abbreviations, and slang (http://members.aol.com/usmilbrats/glossary/)

Sonneilon
05-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Don't forget the good ol' "ASAP"! :P

Seriously tho, run a script by Frank or someone and see what they come up. I do it on occasion. Or I just watch Aliens, Doom or a Vietnam war flick for language.

ender098
05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
I was gonna write out a bunch of them, but here's enough to keep you busy for the rest of the year;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Army_acronyms_and_expressions

Oh, when you're done, can you pick me up a BA-1100-N with an ST- Ring?

;)

Sonneilon
05-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't have time to look it all up.

In "DOOM", the Rock says, "Give Pinky a weapon and ST grenades."

What's ST?

lehsreh
05-19-2007, 11:06 PM
[COLOR=Red]man that thing has everything, but i didnt see ST anywhere sonn and thanx for the link frank, i knew you would be the one to help me out here.[/COLOR]

ender098
05-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I dunno about ST Grenades. You have to figure DOOM is a futuristic movie and uses a lot of fantastic weapons. As far as my comment, you tell some new 'cruit when he arrives at his first duty station to go get a BA-1100-N with an ST-Ring from Supply or the First Sgt.

Most don't realize that you just told them to go get a Balloon with a String! There's also sending them for an ID-10-T card (Idiot) . Usually you ask for their ID card and hand it back to them! Or send people for other non existant things like Squelch grease (Squelch on a radio is feedback, so what would grease do to it?), a box of Grid Squares (Grid squarres are on a map), or 1,000 feet of flight line (Flight line is where the planes take off from!). These are some of the missions we send new guys on to hassle them and make fun of their ignorance. Usually it's reserved for someone who comes in and talks about how his daddy was a Gunny, SgtMajor or Colonel. You send them out for one of those items and then tell them obviously the military gene didn't carry over!

ew3smiley1996
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I know in the navy you send them for 100yds of Gig Line(which is what the seam of your button shirt and the zipper of your pants and belt buckle are called when they line up). or send thenm to the HazMat Locker(Hazardous Material or Paint Room) for Bulkhead remover. A bulkhead is the term for walls on ships, hence you can't remove them. and i know there are much more but i forget!

lehsreh
05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
[COLOR=Red]HA!!! hazing, but thats would be funny, if i ever do enlist, ill have to remember some of those.[/COLOR]

Dersham
05-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Maybe ST means Stun grenades?

Sonneilon
05-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Got me, Dersham.

The correct line is...

"...Give Pinky a weapon and a couple of ST grenades. Nothing can get through that door and to the Arc..."

From what I gathered in the movie, they sounded like the equivalent of a thermal detonator.

Bayer
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I have no idea what an ST grenade is. I've used smoke, fragmentation, High explosive and phospherous.

An army term I haven't seen is RDF - Rapid Deployment Force

The URL is a site that has military acronyms and abbreviations;

http://www.globemaster.de/regabbre.html

lehsreh
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
[COLOR=Red]another good link, thanx. i had to bookmark both of those. ill just have to remember that when i do my dios that i dont use to many, sometimes when people try to do realism they overdo it.[/COLOR]

Bayer
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=lehsreh][COLOR=Red]another good link, thanx. i had to bookmark both of those. ill just have to remember that when i do my dios that i dont use to many, sometimes when people try to do realism they overdo it.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

That is the truth! Even when I was in, I don't remember using all that many acronyms except when I was on the radio in the field. Conversations were pretty normal except for very basic acronyms/abbreviations.