PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone noticed...

Urban Saboteur
05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
[FONT=Arial]This is going to sound like I'm griping slightly.. but I aint.. infact.. I'm more curious.. :o I've taken some .. what I believe to be really good pictures.. I've written out a basic description.. and then uploaded them here to JD.
I've looked from the main menu after they are uploaded and the thumbnail is great.. when I click on the pic to view the actual subject/thread etc.. to read comments.. it appears because I've enlarged the pic.. the quality has also been effected..

Apologies if this seems like common sense to most.. but has anyone else noticed this? I've shrunk down some images and they look better in a smaller scale.. most of my uploaded pictures now have some degree of resizing.. but even some really good looking ones are not always as I'd like and always look better from a distance rather than close up..
Is there anything else I can do to improve picture quality.. :confused:
Aside from photoshop, getting a better camera and or taking better pictures lol
Thanks
Rich[/FONT]

ender098
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
One of the tricks I used when I had an older camera (and my new one still isn't back YET!) was to use a lot of Shadow. People were WOW'ed by my night pictures, but the shadow and dark colors masked the fact that the pixel density and gradient was crap! In bright sunlight it is easy to pick apart every little error, but in night shots, if you can't make out what something is, it adds an aire of mystery!

Hope that helped!

Stormer
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
What sort of size are you using for the pics? I always take them at the camera's highest quality setting (and it's a 2MP camera that's approaching 6 years old...) and then I keep them that size if I'm doing any cropping or brightness/contrast fiddling. The very last thing I do before posting the pic is resizing it to a 600x800 resolution for the site, or the biggest I can get it without either of those values being exceeded. Provided I didn't crop more than I kept, it usually turns out okay...!